Holiday Prelude Concert
Fall 2003 Concert Notes
Tina Johns Heidrich, Conductor
Joe Jacovino, Accompanist
Connecticut Master Chorale Orchestra
This concert featured an exciting new Christmas Spiritual called "Shout the News!" which has been dedicated to the Master Chorale by the composer Jay Althouse.
Tina Heidrich with
Ruth Elaine Schram
- A Joyful Psalm! - Joseph Martin
A festive song of praise with driving rhythms, exploding with choral excitement – a powerful opening!
- For the Beauty of the Earth - John Rutter
Rutter’s engaging melody with lovely vocal lines over a flowing piano accompaniment – a tasteful blend of text and warm musical expression to celebrate Thanksgiving.
- The First Noel / Pachelbel’s Canon - arr. Michael Clawson
One of the finest pairing of melodies – rapidly becoming a classic.
- Angels We Have Heard on High - arr. Craig Courtney
A unique a cappella arrangement that flourishes into a grand and splendid 8-part setting.
- Christmas Lullaby - John Rutter
An exquisite text perfectly wedded with a lilting melody – all within a rich vocal texture.
- Gift of Alleluia - Gilbert Martin
Dramatic and joyous from the quiet opening to the glorious Alleluias – gorgeous!
- An American Christmas - Randall Stroope
A stimulating medley underscoring the significant contribution America has made to music using Copland’s ‘the Promise of Living’ as the flagship theme – with a classic "lift-you-out-of-your-seat" Stroope ending.
- Mass Transit - Selections from multi-cultural masses:
- Kyrie (Caribbean Mass) – Glenn McClure with steel drums
- Sanctus (Missa Luba) – Guido Haazen
- Agnus Dei (Missa Kenya) – Paul Basler
- Jesus, Oh What a Wonderful Child! - arr. Lloyd Larson
Joyous gospel style arrangement of this favorite spiritual – a guaranteed crowd pleaser!
- By Candlelight - Ruth Elaine Schram - for Sopranos and Altos
Simple and elegant with marvelous text describing how beautiful the first Christmas night must have been by candlelight.
- In the Bleak Midwinter - Victor Johnson - for Tenors and Basses
Original haunting melody augmenting the beloved Rosetti text with colorful harmonies.
- Shout the news! - Jay Althouse
An exciting new Christmas Spiritual dedicated to the Connecticut Master Chorale by the Composer.
- Traditions of Hanukkah - Lois Brownsey and Marti Lantz
Incorporating a traditional "lai, lai, lai" chorus, this authentic Hebrew style number captures the many traditions of Hanukkah.
- One Special Night - arr. Philip Kern
A rhythmic, Klezmer style Hanukkah selection – joyous and bright with a festive flair.
- Wasn't That a Mighty Day! - Larry Shackley
An exhilarating rendition of this familiar spiritual for a rousing finale to our concert.